Aga Khan University Job Karachi, Associate (Copyright Clearance)
The position will help the AKU academic community to ensure compliance with copyright laws concerning with the use of digital learning materials in courses offered through blended and digital learning approaches. The appointee will provide assistance with copyright and fair use guidelines and procedures to faculty, staff and students on all AKU campuses who are engaged in teaching and learning programmes.
You will coordinate with members of the faculty, staff and the student body, AKU libraries, publishers and copyright holders to determine whether copyright clearance is required, and if so, serve as the single point of contact in getting the necessary permissions so that content (e.g. articles, video/audio clips, images) can then be used in the University’s teaching and learning resources (e.g. course packs, modules for the institutional Learning Management System).
This will require you to assist in the development of an AKU policy for copyright clearance/ fair use using international best practices and then work on establishing an appropriate process for its implementation. You will also arrange information sharing sessions and workshops on copyright-related matters to raise awareness and champion the cause.
Specifically, you will be responsible to:
– Coordinate with faculty, staff and students across entities to understand their requirements with respect to digital learning material, which they wish to use in their courses.
– Advise faculty, staff and students about what they can and cannot use and/or reproduce without seeking copyright clearance correspond with owners of copyrighted material and ask them for permission to use that material.
– Secure permissions for photocopying and digital use, mostly for blended and digital learning course content, of the material owned by copyright holders.
– Maintain and update a database of material for which copyright clearance has been obtained.
– Conduct workshops on copyright-related matters to raise awareness and champion the cause.
Requirements/You should have:
– At least a Bachelor’s degree preferably in Library Sciences.
– Minimum three years’ experience in the publishing industry, libraries or in any academic related function where communication is essential experience in developing/delivering training programmes; teaching or training experience would be a definite asset.
– Thorough understanding of local and international copyright laws.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
– Excellent computer skills including the use of presentation software.
– Good presentation skills.
– Negotiation and problem solving skills.
– An ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and work well under pressure in a fast moving environment.
You should send your detailed CV’s by email to: email@example.com, and mention the position applied for in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications should be submitted latest by January 3, 2016.